Saturday 13 October 2012

Swedish Tea Ring

Swedish Tea Ring
                              
After having tried the Chelsea buns, the Swedish tea ring seemed easy.  And easy it was.  My nephews were over and I look forward to cook something for the boys.  I helped two year old Kieran,  plonk himself on the kitchen platform right next to where I was working.  He watched me knead the dough as he dangled his tiny feet and entertained me with his blabber.  As the dough was resting, Keagan, Kieran and me got busy reading the story of the 'Seven Little Postmen' and 'Hansel and Gretel' and some more till it was time for me to get back to my dough.  I let the boys do some colouring whilst I started putting the swedish tea ring together.






As soon as it was out of the oven the boys were too eager to start eating it so there was no time to cover it with some sugar icing or cherries,  Keagan loved it,  Now isn't this smile worth it?


 Here is the recipe for my sister so she can make it again and any of you who would like to try it.

For the dough :
250g plain flour
15g yeast
6 tbsp warm milk
50g butter
1 egg beaten
1/2 tsp salt

For the filling :
50g butter softened
75g demerara sugar
50g raisins
50g cashewnuts chopped
50g glace cherries chopped
1 tsp ground cinnamon

For the decoration :
125g icing sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
25g glace cherries

Cream the yeast with a little of the milk and sugar and keep aside for about 10 minutes.  Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Add the melted butter with the yeast, egg and remaining sugar and milk and mix to a smooth dough.  Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.  Place in a greased bowl, cover with a damp cloth and leave in a warm place for 2 hours or till double in size.

Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 2 minutes, then roll out to 10 x 18 inches.

Spread with the softened butter, then sprinke with sugar, fruit, nut and cinnamon.  Roll up tightly from the long side, dampen the edges and seal together.  Place on a greased baking sheet with the seam underneath and form into a ring, joining the ends together.

Using scissors make slanting cuts 2/3rds through the ring at 1 inch gaps.  Cover and leave in warm place for about 30 mins until double in size..

Bake in a preheated oven at 200C for 30 minutes.  Cool

For the decoration (this the part I did'nt do) mix icing sugar with the lemon juice and pour over the ring while still warm.  Decorate with glace cherries.

No comments:

Post a Comment